Saturday, November 15, 2008

MISSIONARY MATTHEW!







On Monday afternoon, November 3rd, Matthew and I boarded a plane bound for Salt Lake City. The next day we went to probably 8 different stores getting those last minute things for his mission. Okay, Tai Pan Trading was not for missionary stuff, but I have to go there every time I am in Utah!! It was snowing, and seemed very Christmasy! We ran around all day and then went back to our hotel to watch the election results, which just depressed both of us. On Wednesday, we picked Mike up at the airport at 10am and drove straight to Provo where we had Matt's "last breakfast" at IHOP. Funny thing, there were about 4 other missionaries there having their "last breakfasts" with their families. And the great thing, Matt's breakfast was free. I guess that a lot of the restaurants in Provo give missionaries a free breakfast on the day they enter the M.T.C.
Then it was on to the M.T.C. (Missionary Training Center). We dropped Matt's luggage off in the designated area, and then went into the lobby. Matt entered through the "New Missionaries" door and got his name tag and we waited in the lobby. We took some pictures and then went to the orientation room to wait. They had Church commercials playing on a big screen and funny statistics about the M.T.C. like how much milk they go through a day. We ended up on the front row, and Matt was asked to give the opening prayer. Poor guy! The whole thing was a very bittersweet experience. We were so excited to have him set out on this great adventure because we know that it will be such a growing experience for him and that he will be able to help others find the gospel. But it was one of the hardest things we have ever done to walk out one door and watch him walk out the other door knowing that we won't see him for two years. The only consolation that I had as a mother was that there were dozens of other moms with mascara streaked tears running down their face. Someone recently told me that M.T.C. really stands for "Mothers Torture Chamber." I have to agree!!!!
We are so proud of Matt for making the decision to serve a mission and give up the next two years of his life to serve the Lord. We miss him terribly, but know he is doing the right thing!



4 comments:

Thomas Family said...

Holy cow! I can't believe that Matt is on his mission! That is so awesome :) I need to get his address from you so I can write him.

Anonymous said...

We know that Matt will be a great missionary! Keep us posted on what is going on with him. We'll keep him in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Susan! I had tears in my eyes just reading your post, I can't imagine what it must have been like for you and Mike!! We, too, are proud of Matt and know that he will be a great missionary. Did you hear that Sam Romero is going to Italy? He leaves in a couple of weeks. Adam just interviewed Jose Banuelos a couple of days ago so he can start working on his missionary papers. Spencer Rogers, Susan Jensen's old boyfriend just got his mission call to Germany. Lots of great things are happening in the Dallas 5th ward and the church in general!! Post Matt's address so we can write him sometime.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I guess it is time for him to go on a mission--it doesn't seem real. I saw how tall Jace was getting in that play--once again, NOT REAL.