Today had to have been in the top 5 of the "Crazy Days in the Life of Susan Norton!" It all started this morning when my husband got ready to leave to go to work and couldn't find his car keys. After about an hour looking everywhere for them, Jace drove him to the office while Jack and McKinzie and I kept looking. I even offered $25 to whoever found the keys, which worked for an hour or so, but quickly lost its appeal when there was no sign of any car keys. I had planned to finish painting the guest bathroom in the basement, since yesterday I had painted the guest bedroom (a.k.a. Matt's bedroom). I wanted to tackle the bathroom which badly needed it before our out of town guests arrived. We were going to be hosting a family from the Joseph and Emma Smith family organization, who was having another reunion here in the Midwest. We were to pick them up at the airport and feed them dinner, then take them to the Stake Center tomorrow. Sounded easy!
Quick summary of my next few hours.
-Gave up key search.
-Painted most of bathroom before running out of paint.
-Sent Jace to Wal Mart to buy more, but it took him 4 trips to 2 different Wal Marts to get what we needed. : (
-Realized I wasn't going to be able to finish house, pick up Mike, pick up guests, and have dinner ready all at the same time.
-Asked friend Laura Niederhauser to pick up guests at airport.
-Assigned Jace to pick up Mike.
-Looked for keys.
-Finished painting bathroom.
-Felt like I might actually finish before guests arrived.
-Got a call from Mike saying that a locksmith was coming to make a new key at a cost of $99.
-Looked for keys thinking I could spend that $99 on something else!!!
-Finished cleaning house.
-Ordered Pizza Hut.
-Was about to shower. . . when the locksmith arrived. He informed me that it would cost somewhere from $250 to $300 to which I promptly said forget it!! He then amazingly lowered his price to $120 after talking to Mike, (who at this point was desperate to have a car key!) and he said it would take a couple of hours.
-Got a call at 5:20pm from Uriah Kennedy, my family who was supposed to be arriving at 6:05pm on Southwest Airlines. I told him that my friend was on her way and that she had his flight info. I figured his flight had caught a major jet stream and got there 45 minutes early!
-Finally showered!
-Doorbell rings. Locksmith has a $120 key for us!
-Got a call from Darcy Kennedy asking if I had hooked up with her son who was the one staying with us. Assured her someone was on their way to pick him and his sons up.
-Doorbell rang - Pizza Hut!
-Got another call from Uriah at 6:15 saying that he was still waiting. Oh, and he happened to mention this time that his itinerary had changed, and he had not flown on Southwest, but on Delta. (Are you kidding me???)
-Making frantic phone calls to ward members trying to find out Laura's cell phone number when. . . .
-Doorbell rings. It's the Leawood Police Department. "Someone placed a 911 call from this address." (ARE YOU KIDDING ME???) I think my subconsious must have called 911 : )
-Got Laura's cell phone number and told her to go to the Delta Terminal, which she was glad to do after waiting at the Southwest Terminal for an hour.
-Called Uriah to tell him she would be there soon.
-Sat down and comforted myself in a big plate of Pizza and Pasta, and bang went the diet!!!
I'm sure it doesn't sound as crazy as it was, but this sequence of events seemed to be happening simultaneously. I swear my phone and the doorbell were ringing nonstop for a couple of hours. I am mentally and physically exhausted, and we still haven't found Mike's keys, but my guest bedroom and bathroom look spectacular, and our guests arrived safely, so all is well!
Life is a Mission - WA'RANIN
14 years ago





1 comment:
Wow, Susan, what a day!! I'm glad it was your day and not mine - I don't think I would have a handled it as well as you! :)
Post a Comment