Saturday, September 5, 2009

BYU Bound!


It is now official. Jace is a college student. We all made the trek out to Utah, and also took my niece Kailey out with us so that her grandma could take her up to BYU Idaho. We had to take two cars, since Jace was taking the Explorer out to school, and they were both packed with Jace and Kailey's stuff. The drive out was not bad. We had the walkie talkies and played on those most of the way out there. I had Kailey, Kinzie and Jack in my car, and Mike rode with Jace most of the way. When we got to Green River, Utah, Mike took all of our kids in the van and headed for St. George to see his mom. I took Kailey in the Explorer and we headed up to Julie's to spend some time with Auntie Betty. Kailey and I had the funniest experience. We stopped at a bathroom in some little podunk town in Utah, and she dropped her brand new phone in the stall and the back came off and disappeared. We must have looked for 15 minutes for that thing, and we never did find it. I think it went down the toilet. Oh well!

I had lovely visit at Julie's with my Auntie Betty. She is so wonderful, and is going strong at 79! We did a little shopping at IKEA, Church Distribution and at Tai Pan Trading, all must hit stores in Utah. We also met up with Sandy and the girls at IKEA so that was fun. And we discovered the IKEA cafeteria. Cheap and good, especially after you spend hours walking around that store!

After a couple of days, Mike and the kids came up to Salt Lake, and we started the fun process of moving Jace into his dorm at Wyview. We moved in a day early, so we had the dorm to ourselves. It took us all day to set him up in his dorm, get his ID and bus pass, and buy his books. The next day, we moved from Julie's down to a hotel in Provo. It was nice to meet Jace's roommates, and hang out on campus. He also auditioned for and made Men's Chorus. Mike and I were both so excited for Jace. We know he is going to have a great experience. Driving home without him was sad and emotional. I know that this is the beginning of the end. He is not going to be living at home much anymore. He is such a great kid, and I will miss his company and his great sense of humor. But I know there are some great experiences in store for him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is Kailey going to BYU too?